The first Bicester Festival was held in June 2018 themed ‘Something in the AIR’ and ran over 2 days. It featured:
- Street Performance by Aerialists Rogue Play, Rimski & Hankerchief (travelling Piano & Double Bass), and Zest Theatre.
- Market Square stage for community and professional theatre, dance, music and magic, including Squashbox, Juggling John and Reggae on the Rocks
- Artists Exhibition at Bicester Methodist Church
- Historic Dovecote was open to the public with hands on art activities and Tin Sheds’ Cirque Du Flea in Old Place Yard.
- Hands on art activities at OYAP Trust Studio2
- Community Kite Fly and picnic at Kingsmere Leisure centre featuring The AirHeads Kite Display team, with music from Bicester Concert Band.
The inaugural event was of a high quality programme and enjoyed by all who caught the free shows and acts and participated in the hands-on activities. The review meeting determined the festival was in need of branding and better promotion in order to establish the festival as part of the cultural life of the town and surrounding areas.
Year 1 established a steering group made up of local businesses, cultural and faith groups, teachers, artists and local authority representatives. ROR Creative was selected to create a new logo, marketing strategy and business sponsorship package for the 2019 festival.